Today the German Language has opened numerous opportunities. Many students across the globe try to get into German Universities for higher education in Germany and employment in Germany. In order to make their stay in Germany comfortable, a certain level of German Language Proficiency is required. One can join the German A1 course and complete the Exam Preparation Course before appearing in the Start Deutsch A1 Examination conducted by Goethe Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan. The certificate issued by them is valid worldwide at Visa Consulate Office as well as accepted by all the universities.
Start Deutsch A1 exam certificate is a mandatory requirement for Spouse Immigration.
Key Facts about the German A1 Exam
- German A1 exam tests the basic language competency of the candidate. A candidate is expected to frame and understand simple sentences, write an email, and introduce himself/herself.
- The exam has four modules, i.e. Reading, Listening, Writing, and Speaking. Each module has equal weightage (25%). The candidate needs to get at least 60% marks in total to pass this examination.
- The reading module has 15 multiple questions. Candidates have to read the passages/information and select the correct answers from available options (a/b/c or True/False).
- The listening module also has 15 multiple choice questions. Candidates have to listen to conversations played on the CD. These conversations are recorded by native language speakers. After listening to the conversation, candidates have to mark the correct answer (a/b/c or True/False).
- The writing module has two sections. In first section, one has to fill in a personal information form after reading the given information. Examples of forms would be a hotel room booking form or course enrolment form or club membership registration form, etc. In the second section, candidates have to write an email.
- In the speaking module, typically 4 candidates and two examiners complete the oral exam. Candidates have to introduce themselves in the first section. In the second and third sections, candidates pick cards and ask questions to partners. Similarly, they also have to respond to partners’ questions.
- If you want to know more about oral exams, please watch our YouTube video of Start Deutsch A1 Speaking Exam Simulation.
Tips for passing the German A1 Exam
- Vocabulary is the key point in this exam. Try to cover basic vocabulary related to every prescribed topic.
- Listening to podcasts / YouTube videos on regular basis will help improve listening skills.
- Try to cover maximum words for asking questions, which can be there in the speaking exam.
- Practice writing emails and get them checked by a trained teacher.
- Go through the sample tests available on the Goethe Institut website and study the test thoroughly.
- Try to interact with other learners from the class or find people online.
- Focus on fulfillment of exercise than grammatical precision. Conveying messages is more important than perfection of language, especially at the A1 Level.
Booking an Exam Seat
- You can appear for Start Deutsch A1 Exam in any of the Goethe Institutes or Goethe Zentrums. Visit the website of the concerned center and book the examination as per their schedule.
- Please note: You might need to book the exam in advance (around a month). There are always more candidates than the seats offered. It is wise to plan and book the exam seat well in advance. You will need a Valid Photo ID (preferably a passport).
- The exam fees for Start Deutsch A1 is INR 7600/-
- If you wish to appear for this exam in Nashik at i-Pro Edu, please visit this website.